New Year, New Me? ... Maybe not

Here comes 2018, like a new bride walking down the aisle, brimming with enthusiasm and hopeful optimism! ... Such naivete is rarely seen except in people who believe that a new year is a new opportunity to get it right; to re-write the wrongs from the last 365 days; to start anew.

By now you must think I am a bit of a Debbie downer.
Truth is... why must we wait a whole 365 days to turn the page?
Why do 12 months have to pass before we say goodbye to the stupid crap and mistakes we might have made to be able to put the past firmly behind us where it belongs?
What happens if I've made mistakes early in the year? Does this mean, I have to wallow in them for the rest of the year? or that I cannot change or rectify those errors only because I cannot consider the chapter closed because ... well we only just got started with the new year. Sounds like most of us doesn't it? *shrug* I know I did it. Not once. Not twice. Countless times over. For as long as I can remember.

It might have taken me 30 years to come to this conclusion, but am I glad to see this day!
2018 Sancha might make mistakes. She might want to kick her own butt several times before the sun sets but does that mean that she allows herself time to wallow in self-pity and misery until the year ends to be able to call it quits? No.

Sunset itself is enough to remind me of a passing of a day. It signifies the end of one lot of 24hrs and reminds me that tomorrow will be a fresh start. Tomorrow when the sun rises again, I have another day to get it right. I've been given another chance, another opportunity. And that will be enough. That will be enough for me to move on to my next goal. To work harder to make it a success. To make today the day that I choose to be happy. To make today the day that I choose to succeed.

'Cos at the end of the who else do I have but myself to rely upon for my own happiness and for my own success. Trust in yourself and believe in yourself. Because 2018 is the year you get it right. 2018 is YOUR year! Like an old Kingfisher ad I remember says "It's Your Life, Make it Large!"


Comments

Popular Posts